Vietnam Retreat with James Richards - March 2019
Vietnam Retreat with James Richards - March 2019
James Richards is your Sketch tutor for a 10 day retreat in Hoi An, Vietnam March 18th -27th 2019. Your host Anna Barnes of ArtFoodCulture (long term traveller to Hoi An, chef and artist) has built a network of contacts over the years who delight in giving our groups special attention. They take us off the tourist trail to experience locations that only a local can.
You will be staying in a locally run guest house, a short distance to the UNESCO Heritage town of Hoi An. Each morning James will give a Sketch Class, especially tailored to capture the stunning historical town of Hoi An, its people and culture. James will build lessons around the historic architecture, street scenes, the market, the river, and the crowds of people there, as well as teach his more typical subjects such as a 5-step process for building urban sketches, creating a sense of depth, etc.
We have chosen sketching locations that will encompass Hoi An. Emerald rice paddies and farmers at work, blooming lotus fields, bustling markets, historic Chinese Assembly Halls, Buddhist Pagodas, Vietnamese coffee houses, the famous Japanese Bridge, Marble Mountain and the ancient Cham ruins, Mi Son are all on offer. One of the many highlights will be visiting Linh’s family home. She is a long time friend of Anna’s, a mother and wonderful cook. She and her husband run an Eco herb and fish farm on the property. You will have a hands on cooking class with her and spend the afternoon sketching and relaxing amongst the water coconut palms. Another highlight will be visiting one of the 54 Ethic minority groups of Vietnam, the Co Tu people. Two days and one night in a traditional homestay with these people will give you plenty of time to explore this precious culture. James will guide you with your sketching and is looking forward to teaching in such a fascinating environment. Meals are included, and Anna will be taking you to her favourite places from the busiest of streetfood vendors where only the locals go, to the loveliest of Vietnamese restaurants in the Ancient town. You will experience many different styles of Vietnamese cuisine. Plenty of time will also be spent enjoying the lantern lit streets and the balmy evenings by the river.
About James Richards:
James is a former professor of landscape architecture and urban design. His interests and workshop teaching environments are public spaces, street life, architecture, town and landscape character—basically the physical environment that expresses the culture and that which shapes people’s daily lives. For this upcoming Vietnam retreat he has designed an amazing recreational learning experience that uses those types of subject matter to take the participants’ sketching skills to the next level. We will have a lot of fun at the same time.
March 18 -27th 2019.
Small group maximum 10 sketchers. This will ensure you will receive plenty of personal tuition during the sessions.
9 nights accomodation in a locally run family style guesthouse.
8 x 3 hr sketch tuition sessions with James Richards
Entry ticket to The Ancient Town
Private bus trip to the historic Cham ruins, Mi Son with local guide.
Private bus trip to Marble Mountain with local guide.
2 day/1 night tour to the village of the Co Tu people in the district of Tay Giang in Quang nam province, exploring the village, eating and sleeping in a traditional homestay.
Cooking Class and Basket Boat afternoon out at a private Eco Fish and Herb Farm
Rice Paper making, Farm excursion and Seafood lunch at the Organic Herb Gardens.
Beverages- alcohol and imported soft drinks.
Anything not mentioned in the Included list.
A non-refundable deposit of $500.00 per person is required on confirmation in order to secure your reservation. The final payment balance of $3400 is due 120 days prior to departure date.
Bookings close November 18th 2018. Full Balance due.
The retreat is guaranteed to go ahead if minimum numbers are reached by the booking deadline. Once minimum numbers have been reached we will contact you. DO NOT proceed with booking your air travel and organising your visa and insurance until we have contacted you to confirm minimum numbers have been reached and the retreat will proceed. IMPORTANT Do not proceed until you have been notified.
We can recommend a Sydney based Vietnam specialist Travel Agent to take care of your airfares, visa and travel insurance if you are departing from Australia. Let us know if you would like details.
Travel insurance is mandatory and a copy must be supplied to us before commencement.
For Extra nights, add ons to your itinerary within Vietnam, VIP Airport service, private transfers to your hotel, and tours to neighbouring countries please contact our trusted South East Asian Specialists Khiri Travel at email@example.com
For the full itinerary or questions please email Anna Barnes at ArtFoodCulture.
phone: (+61) 490345782
$3900 per person. (+Single supplement $400)
- We hope you are looking forward to what we are sure will be a trip of a lifetime. Before you embark on this Retreat, we ask you to consider the points listed below that relate to our Vietnam Retreats. This will ensure you understand what is involved and help you decide if this retreat is right for you.
- To ensure that your retreat runs as smoothly as possible for you and your fellow retreat members, please consider the following aspects prior to confirming your arrangements.
- While we believe that age is no barrier, please give special consideration to the fact that medical assistance and public infrastructure can be limited in Vietnam.
- There will be long periods of physical activity, including walking, climbing of stairs, in/out of boats. Participants who will travel with a cane/walking stick may come across difficulties. It is our experience that using a cane/walking stick in these areas where there are rough and uneven surfaces, stairs to climb and high humidity/summer temperatures, becomes difficult.
- Only limited meal options will be available. People with special dietary requirements can expect difficulties on these tours. Please understand that depending on the street food or market vendor you may be given very little or no meat/fish. Sometimes vegetarian options are not available. Allergies including mild intolerances to to life threatening anaphylactic reactions can not be accommodated on Vietnam retreats.
- Your retreat includes 2/3 star accommodation facilities. The city and/or village power or water may at times be disrupted. This may mean the power, hot water, wifi, refrigeration or air-conditioning may not be available for short or long periods.
- There will be long periods of driving on often rural and bumpy roads in vehicles ranging from tour coaches to taxi’s.
- Heat and humidity affects people in many different ways and a certain level of fitness is required in order to limit the effects. Please discuss how to manage Vietnams tropical summer heat with a health care professional.
- Guides will endeavour to provide rest stops in your itinerary where possible. Please be advised that some days may have a more physical program than others.
- We strongly urge you to be sure you can make it before you book. Please see our refund policy in Terms and Conditions.
- Each guest will have different medical needs including decisions to be made with travel vaccinations. Please see a health care professional for advice.
- Understand that taking out Travel Insurance is compulsory and a copy must be supplied to the organisers prior to commencement of the retreat.
- This is a non smoking retreat as we are staying in an intimate guest house. If you are a smoker we request you smoke well away from the group off the property, and do not inconvenience the group in any way.
- The Retreat commences at 4pm 18th March 2019 at the Guesthouse in Hoi An, Vietnam. Address will be supplied at time of booking (check in time 2pm or earlier by arrangment). The best way get to Hoi An is to arrive via the International Airport in Da Nang (DAD). Then get a transfer by private car or taxi to Hoi An (about 30 mins). You will be greeted upon arrival. (details for private transfer available at booking). Retreat ends upon check out time at 11am 27th March 2019.
- If you are comfortable with the above mentioned aspects of travelling we look forward to welcoming you on what is sure to be a unique and memorable experience
- If you have any hesitations please contact Anna at firstname.lastname@example.org or Australia (+61) 490345782