ArtFoodCulture in collaboration with ErinHillSketching is hosting a Winter Escape Retreat for 10 days in Hoi An, Vietnam July 25th to August 3rd 2018. Your host is Anna Barnes (long term traveller to Hoi An, chef and artist) has built a network of contacts over the years who delight in giving our groups special attention. They take us off the tourist trail to experience locations and restaurants that only a local can.
You will be staying by the river, walking distance to the UNESCO Heritage town of Hoi An in a modern guest house with pool. Early Mornings are spent cycling to the beach, enjoying yoga and having breakfast in the market (fresh fruit smoothies, delicious coconut, pho and Vietnamese coffee). Otherwise, enjoy your complimentary hotel breakfast before we meet for an Erin Hill Travel Sketch Class, especially tailored to capture the stunning historical town of Hoi An, its people, lifestyle and the food. Your experienced EHS tutor Anna Barnes has chosen sketching locations that will capture the essence of Hoi An. From emerald rice paddies, to blooming lotus fields, farmers at work, water buffalos, ducks, bustling markets, historic assembly halls, Buddhist pagodas, quaint Vietnamese coffee houses, the famous Japanese Bridge, Marble Mountain and the ancient Cham ruins, Mi Son. One of the many highlights will be visiting Anna's good friend Linh in her family home. She is a mother and wonderful cook and her husband runs an eco fish and herb farm on the property. You will have a hands on cooking class with her at her eco farm. We will be accompanied by our Vietnamese english speaking guide for all our outings, so rest assured, you will have wonderful interactions with the locals!
Your afternoons are free (its going to be hot and humid). I expect most of you will stay by the pool, sketch and relax, or catch up on your spa treatments, visits to the tailor and shopping.
Evenings, a balmy walk along the river side enjoying the beautiful lanterns and night markets Hoi An has become famous for. Anna has chosen comfortable restaurants that serve delicious local cuisine. She will help with ordering food, conversing with restaurant staff and can answer your foodie questions. This is where we will sketch night scenes, food and people. Discussions about the art, food and culture of the region will be encouraged. You will be escorted back to your hotel, or if you wish to find a bar or dancing venue recommendations are included in your comfort pack.
25th July 2018-3rd August 2018.
$3500 (land content)
Small group size. Minimum 5, maximum 10.
No single supplement.
10 nights accomodation in 3 star guesthouse with pool.
2 dinners (welcome and farewell dinner)
Erin Hill Travel Sketch Course (8 sessions x 4 hours each plus evening sketching)
Comfort pack on arrival- It will include ethically sourced organic lemongrass soap, cinnamon room spray, local map, sim card for local data, a conical hat, a cotton shopping bag (to reduce plastic bag use), shopping guide, spa, bar and nightlife guide, food guide (so you can order meals with confidence), activities for free time, recommended reading, films, Youtube channels, and instagram accounts. (subject to change with similar valued items if necessary)
Entry ticket to The Ancient Town and 3 days of sketching the historical buildings of Hoi An with Vietnamese English speaking guide.
Private bus trip to the historic Cham ruins, Mi Son with local guide.
Private bus trip to Marble Mountain with local guide.
Cooking Class and Basket Boat day out at a private Eco Fish and Herb Farm
Rice Paper making, Farm excursion and Seafood Lunch at the Organic Herb Gardens.
8 yoga classes.
Dinners (except where stated)
Beverages- alcohol and imported soft drinks.
Anything not mentioned in the Included list.
As this is a last minute addition to our retreat schedule, booking deadline is June 15th, 2018. 50% deposit of $1750 is due at time of booking and the balance of $1750 is due 27th June. Please email Anna for the best way to split payment. Other wise full payment can be made immediately. The retreat is guaranteed to go ahead if minimum numbers are reached by 15th June. Once minimum numbers have been reached we will contact you to proceed with booking your air travel and organising your visa and insurance. Do not proceed until you have been notified.
We can recommend a Sydney based Vietnam specialist Travel Agent to take care of your airfares, visa and travel insurance. Let us know if you would like details. Travel insurance is mandatory and a copy must be supplied before commencement.
For Extra nights, add ons to your itinerary within Vietnam, VIP Airport service, private transfers to your hotel, and tours to neighbouring countries please contact our trusted South East Asian Specialists Khiri Travel at email@example.com
For the full itinerary or questions please email Anna Barnes at
We hope you are looking forward to what we are sure will be a trip of a lifetime. Before you embark on this Retreat, we ask you to consider the points listed below that relate to our Vietnam Retreats. This will ensure you understand what is involved and help you decide if this retreat is right for you.
To ensure that your retreat runs as smoothly as possible for you and your fellow retreat members. Please consider the following aspects prior to confirming your arrangements;
- While we believe that age is no barrier, please give special consideration to the fact that medical assistance and public infrastructure can be limited in Vietnam.
- There will be long periods of physical activity, including walking, climbing of stairs, in/out of boats. Participants who will travel with a cane/walking stick may come across difficulties. It is our experience that using a cane/walking stick in these areas where there are rough and uneven surfaces, stairs to climb and high humidity/summer temperatures, becomes difficult.
- The retreat includes vigorous bicycle rides through the streets of Hoi An to the local beach for morning yoga and market refreshments. Bicycle hire is included, however helmets are not supplied. If you require one it is advised you bring one with you or purchase one upon arrival.
- Only limited meal options will be available. People with special dietary requirements can expect difficulties on these tours. Please understand that depending on the street food or market vendor you may be given very little or no meat/fish. Sometimes vegetarian options are not available. Allergies including mild intolerances to to life threatening anaphylactic reactions can not be accommodated on Vietnam retreats.
- Your retreat includes 3 star accommodation facilities. The city power or water may at times be disrupted. This may mean the power, hot water, wifi, refrigeration or air-conditioning may not be available for short or long periods.
- There will be long periods of driving on often rural and bumpy roads in vehicles ranging from tour coaches to local jeeps to taxi’s.
- Heat and humidity affects people in many different ways and a certain level of fitness is required in order to limit the effects. Please discuss how to manage Vietnams tropical summer heat with a health care professional.
- Guides will endeavour to provide rest stops in your itinerary where possible. Please be advised that some days may have a more physical programme than others.
- Unfortunately due to the logistics involved and upfront costs of this retreat we have a strict no refund policy regardless of circumstance. If you need to cancel we will happily help you to try and find a replacement for your spot, and if we can find one you will be refunded in full minus a service charge of $200 but only in the event that a replacement is found. We strongly urge you to buy travel insurance and to be sure you can make it before you book.
- Each guest will have different medical needs including decisions to be made with travel vaccinations. Please see a health care professional for advice.
- I understand that taking out Travel Insurance is compulsory and a copy must be supplied to the organisers prior to commencement of the retreat.
- This is a non smoking retreat as we are staying in an intimate guest house. If you are a smoker we request you smoke well away from the group off the property, and do not inconvenience the group in any way.
- Some evening meal costs are not included in the retreat package, though you will be accompanied by a guide (Anna). The average cost is usually $10-$25. Alcohol can be purchased separately. Cheaper options, including Street food recommendations will be available at the time.
- If you are comfortable with the above mentioned aspects of travelling we look forward to welcoming you on what is sure to be a unique and memorable experience
- If you have any hesitations please contact Anna at firstname.lastname@example.org or +610490345782 or take a look at our other Sketch Holidays to explore alternative options.